It’s not easy to know if your PC has been compromised because cybercriminals have become adept at making their programs look very official. They routinely build fake web sites and clone logos from legitimate software companies. Some of the signs your PC has been compromised are:
- Redirection of your web browser to unintended destinations
- Numerous uncontrolled pop-up windows
- Your PC becomes lethargic or prone to freezing up
- Fake anti-virus program pop-ups saying your PC has been infected
- Missing icons and limited functionality e.g. no Control Panel access
- New software installations without your permission
More recently there has been a trend towards encryption viruses such as ‘Cryptolocker’. This virus encrypts the contents of a hard drive and requires the user to pay a ransom for the return of the files to a readable state. Unfortunately, the cybercriminals do no always honor the ransom, and you are left with a paper weight if you do not have an offline file backup.
Karma Tech stays on top of the latest threats and regularly sends out email alerts to our clients when activity is high for a particular threat. Our technicians can clean up your PC and help protect against future viruses by ensuring that you have a current and licensed Internet security package with subscription updates.
This service is available onsite and may be available as an online remote desktop session, depending on the severity of the infection.